[gpodder-devel] Development workflow for contributors

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:03:28 +0200

Hello!

On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:13 AM, Nick Nobody wrote:
> Now that we have a shiny new SCM, there should be a bit of
> clarification on what should be the preferred method for submitting
> changes.
>
> As an experiment I created a fork[1] of gPodder and started adding
> some of my own branches there. I'm not sure if this is the right way
> to do this but the way I see it, it would allow changes to easily be
> merged from the fork into the main repository.

This (forking on repo.or.cz) and sending patches via mail (as Justin
is doing at the moment) are the two options that we are currently
experimenting with. I'm currently not in my development environment,
but when I'm going to work through the multitude of good patches from
all of you, I'll see what's easier to merge. Having a fork and seeing
your development branches in the "graphiclog" view on repo.or.cz is
surely helpful, but patches are also not that problematic, especially
for small things they seem to be easy to use.

I'll get back to you with more details as soon as I've merged back the
first batch of changes that are now in the air, in the mailing list
and on the forks on repo.or.cz.

> So, if I'm reading the git docs right, to get the changes for a small
> bugfix branch (proper-filesizes) you could do this:
>
> git pull http://repo.or.cz/w/gpodder/nikosapi.git refs/heads/proper-
> filesizes

Thanks, i'll try that soon.