[gpodder] Re: Development news: "cuatro" branch and "master" branch

  • From: Joseph Wickremasinghe <jnwickremasinghe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:15:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thomas,

Have you been able to spend any time in the cuatro branch? I ask because I have
some C++ experience that I would enjoy using to forward the gpodder cause :)

Additionally, I was wondering if you wanted to make a special mention of the
iPod sync addition into the master branch so that Apple owners can try it out?
:)

I'll work on the bugs assigned to me over the next few weeks.

Joseph

 Subject: [gpodder] Development news: "cuatro" branch and "master" branch
 To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 1:31 PM

 Hi,

 As hinted a few times already, "cuatro" is the new branch in
 Git where
 development for the next major gPodder release happens. The
 "master"
 branch will from today on become more of a "stable" branch -
 I expect
 bugfixes, translation updates and maybe some more clean-ups
 to the
 device sync to land there. If somebody works on iPod
 support, etc..,
 we can also land this in the "master" branch. It's not going
 away
 anytime soon, but don't expect much new/fresh development
 happening
 there in the mid- to long-term.

 Ideas for the next major gPodder release have been posted
 at
 http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Cuatro in February. While
 these are just
 some ideas, and I'm not sure we'll jump to C++ in the end
 (Python 3
 seems like a more sensible goal at the moment), the general
 direction
 is clear: Continue to move things out of the core, make the
 core
 well-tested, modular, fast and portable. Allow extending
 gPodder using
 extension scripts (Bernd has done some great work there, and
 we
 continue to gain features by means of extension modules,
 which do not
 have to be enabled all the time). I'd also like to see
 things like
 gpodder.net sync, Flattr and MP3 Player/Device sync
 implemented as
 extensions, outside of the core.

 As far as user interfaces go, I think we should make the
 core flexible
 enough to provide a solid foundation for quickly
 bootstrapping new,
 experimental UIs (see also Attila's excellent article about
 "throwaway
 UI code" at
http://achipa.blogspot.com/2011/07/qt-components-story-of-ugly-qwidgetling.html).
 We won't ever be able to create a nice "native" UI on *any*
 platform
 using just a single technology (such as Gtk or QML or any
 other
 toolkit/language), so the idea is to have simple, quick,
 native UIs
 for platforms that we support and rely on the community to
 provide
 native UIs for other platforms that we don't support
 directly.

 What I mean with that is that instead of settling with the
 PyGTK UI
 for Linux, OS X and Windows, there should be a "GNOME 3" UI
 that
 integrates well with GNOME 3, maybe a "Ubuntu Desktop" UI
 that
 integrates well with Unity (written in Ubuntu's QML
 components?),
 definitely a CLI as we have now, maybe a Windows Forms UI or
 a Metro
 (Modern UI)-style app for Windows, and a Cocoa UI for OS X.

 On the mobile side, there should definitely be a QML UI for
 Harmattan,
 Sailfish or Ubuntu Phone (whatever is going to be the QML
 platform of
 the day when "cuatro" is ready). For Android, we ideally
 want to have
 a native Android Java UI that follows the Android UI
 guidelines
 (http://developer.android.com/design/).
 For Blackberry 10 we would
 have a Cascades UI and for Windows Phone some Metro-style
 UI. Not that
 I'd have time to write any of them, but if we wanted to have
 gPodder
 on such a platform, writing a native UI for it should be the
 way to go
 instead of making other UIs cater to every platform's
 peculiarities.

 That's not to say that someone cannot re-use a Linux Desktop
 UI for
 Mac OS X should no Cocoa UI be available - but we shouldn't
 make the
 Linux UI codebase and/or interface more complicated because
 of that.

 What will stay the same:
  - Open Source (maybe new code will be available under a
 more liberal license)
  - Support for non-podcast subscriptions (alternative video
 and audio services)
  - Extendability with Python

 In short:
  - I'll be mostly hacking on "cuatro" from now on
  - Keep sending patches for gPodder 3 in the mean time
  - If you can, help test the "cuatro" branch every now and
 then

 Enjoy!