[gpodder-devel] Closing gPodder after a Woodchuck-triggered update

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:06:27 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 06:00:25PM +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> If Woodchuck decides that gPodder should update a channel or download
> an episode and gPodder is not running, Woodchuck will start gPodder.
>
> If, after the updates are finished, the user has not interacted with
> gPodder, then gPodder can quit and free resources.  The question,
> then, is how to best determine whether the user interacted with
> gPodder.  In FeedingIt, I added a flag that the top-level widget
> callbacks set.  This is a bit dirty.
>
> On IRC, Thomas suggested not starting the GUI if gPodder was started
> by Woodchuck.  In this case, we need to figure out how to start the
> GUI if the user decides to use gPodder during such an update.  I'm not
> sure how to best do this.
>
> Another solution would be to put something like a transparent eventbox
> on top of gpodder and, on the first user interaction, set a flag,
> destroy the event box and pass the event through to the GUI.

No, I don't like this approach and also not the one with the flag.
However, I think we should have some support in place for gPodder to run
in some kind of "headless" mode when it has not started. Can you file a
bug for this (as feature request) on bugs.gpodder.org that we can use to
track this feature?

HTH.