[gpodder] Re: Cleaning up duplicates

  • From: Filip Kłębczyk <fklebczyk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 13:30:54 +0200

W dniu 04.05.2013 11:35, Alexander Wilms pisze:
I noticed there are quite a lot duplicates on gpodder.net and I wondered
who takes care of them.  I added a few ones to
http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Web_Services/Merge_Queue , but so far
nothing has happened.

I think I could look after them from time to time, if you could grant my
gpodder.net account "Alexander_Wilms" some edit rights and explain how
to to merge entries. Or has this to be done manually in the db? In the
past I was a member of the LibreOffice design team with commit rights
and I help translating some projects
(https://launchpad.net/~alexander-wilms
<https://launchpad.net/%7Ealexander-wilms>), if that increases my
credibility :)

I would like to warn you that gPodder is something completely different than LibreOffice. You can get kicked off without any explanation from translating team like me (after translating a lot of stuff here).

It's not only me - other people's work in _some_ cases is not valued here also. Thomas Perl gPodder project leader came up with an idea of BSc thesis for my student which was doing QML Desktop Components based UI for gPodder. The job was done, but code wasn't (and probably won't be) merged with the project. Why? Official explanation is that this student doesn't know how to use 'git rebase' (if someone is using Mercurial and doesn't have much contact with git is hard to demand to know every part of git very well). Shouldn't former mentor help with that? Is that an enough reason to drop someone's hard work? I personally think it is not and that won't encourage any person to get involved more in open source projects.

Unfortunately these are my experiences with gPodder. I would like it to be different - I hope they still can be. It doesn't require much - gPodder leader should finally "wake up" and drop his current non-inclusive behaviour. That should be possible - he is an intelligent person and I know him also from _very_ positive side (unfortunately that part of him becomes more and more blurry to me). Other gPodder regular (core?) contributors are peaceful people (I know two of them personally). I think most of them are Austrians from or around nice city of Vienna, but it seems that they don't have so much to say (decide) regarding the whole project.

Anyway I wish you good luck Alexander and I hope that your experiences with the gPodder project will be different than mine.

Regards,
Filip