[gpodder-devel] Building gpodder-0.10.1

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:25:06 +0100

Hello, Brian!

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 23:00 -0700, Brian McNally wrote:
> I'm trying to fix a bug I've encountered in gpodder 0.9.4 by building
> and using gpodder 0.10.1, but I'm having some problems testing the new
> build before I actually install it. Before I describe the build
> problem, I'll explain the bug I'm trying to avoid.
>
> When I try and change the download location for podcasts, I'm told:
>
> Error moving downloads
>
> There has been an error moving your downloads to the specified
> location. The old download directory will be used instead.
>
> This only seems to happen when I try and move the downloads to a
> different physical drive. I can change the download path just fine so
> long as it's on the same filesystem. Making a symlink on the local
> filesystem that points to another filesystem does work, but it's a
> hack. This sounds like a bug to me.
>
> So, I've tried building gpodder 0.10.1 to see if that fixes the
> problem. After downloading the source I run:
>
> python setup.py build
> cd ./build/scripts-2.5
> ./gpodder
>
> And I get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./gpodder", line 148, in <module>
>     sys.exit( main())
>   File "./gpodder", line 122, in main
>     from gpodder import gui
> ImportError: cannot import name gui
>
> Obviously I'm missing module gui but I'm not sure how I can test
> 0.10.1 without first installing it with python setup.py install. I did
> try python setup.py install --prefix=/tmp/dir, but that resulted in
> the same missing module. Your thoughts?

Run "make test" in the source directory. That runs gPodder without
installing or building anything. Be aware that upgrading directly from
0.9.4 to 0.10.1 has not been tested (there is some migration that
happens between the versions leading up to 0.10.1), so you might have to
manually re-create the channels list. Be aware of that before running
gPodder 0.10.1 (making a backup tarball of ~/.config/gpodder/ is a good
idea).

Run "make" in the source directory of additional commands you can use to
test/build/install gPodder on your system.