[gpodder-devel] August 2009 status update on gPodder development

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 03:03:47 -0700

You wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Bernd <brot at gmx.info> wrote:
> > what's the reason why you don't use notify-osd on Ubuntu baseed systems?
> > I don't like the custom notification windows in gPodder on Ubuntu.
>
> There is nothing custom about gpodder's notifications.  gpodder is
> using the standard pynotify interface available as part of the python
> gtk bindings that wraps the libnotify library which implements the
> freedesktop.org notification specifications.  The traditional
> notification daemon that comes as part of a standard GNOME desktop
> handles all possible allowable notifications..including notifications
> with actions.

The notifications used are still the standard ones on non-Ubuntu systems
(or if you kill notify-osd and start notification-daemon). As Ubuntu's
notify-osd does not attach notifications to widgets, it's useless for
some notifications (i.e. press Ctrl+S when no device is configured).

It's nice to be able to "hint" which button to press when there is an
error. This is currently not possible with notify-osd (which is sad!).

That's why I decided to do these custom notification pop-ups on Ubuntu
when notify-osd is active. I agree that they look ugly, and I'm happily
accepting patches (NotificationWindow in src/gpodder/gtkui/widgets.py).

Also, it seems like notify-osd-based notifications can only fit limited
amount of text (at least less than notification-daemon).

I think it's a good idea that they are thinking about ways of making
the notifications system better, but as their changes seem to be more
radical, they (Canonical) should have left notification-daemon alone
and create something new (which developers can then start using) instead
of replacing notification-daemon and changing behaviour.

Also, last time I checked, notify-osd was closed source.. argh!

Maybe a "Conflicts: notify-osd" in the next Ubuntu package could solve
this problem? ;)

The notify-osd detection is in src/gpodder/gtkui/interface/common.py.
You can comment it there and try using Ubuntu's notifications.

Suggestions (and patches) as always welcome :)