[gpodder-devel] Any interest in hooking into packagekit for pulling optional functionality on demand?

  • From: jspaleta at gmail.com (Jeff Spaleta)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:27:15 -0800

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Thomas Perl <thp at gpodder.org> wrote:
> Sure - we've already prepared the "framework" for this inside the
> dependency manager code, but have been lacking integration of a specific
> packaging environment. See
> src/gpodder/gtkui/desktop/dependencymanager.py and its related TODO
> items in the source code for where the package manager-specific code has
> to be inserted. You probably also need to enhance the DependencyModel
> class in src/gpodder/gtkui/services.py with some additional metadata
> from the DependencyManager (in src/gpodder/services.py) so that you can
> map the command-line tool names and the Python module names to
> system-specific package names that need to be installed.
>
> Patches gladly accepted :)

Good to know.  Just wanted to make sure this fit on the roadmap. I'll
poke around at making this work on Fedora as a patch set. The mapping
will have to be distribution specific I think. How do you envision
that being handled? A runtime on system datafile read that expresses
the mapping? Or a set of build time configs that hardwire the mapping?

-jef