[gpodder-devel] 0.9.4 channel disappearance

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:32:01 +0100

Hello, Lofton!

Lofton H Alley wrote:
> ok, getting worse not better, now all i get is a 1 second splash of the
> gui and it (i assume) crashes, here is the -v output:
> ~$ gpodder --verbose
> (tagupdate) eyed3 not found -- tag update disabled
> (ipodsync) Could not find python-gpod. iPod functions will be disabled.
> (ipodsync) Please install the "python-gpod" package if you want iPod
> support.
> (ipodsync) Could not find pymad.
> (ipodsync) Coulld not find eyeD3.
> (ipodsync) PyID3 not found - falling back to channel cover for iPod
> cover art
> (ipodsync) mplayer not found - length of video files will be guessed
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 148, in <module>
>     sys.exit( main())
>   File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 144, in main
>     gui.main()
>   File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 1833, in
> main
>   File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 100, in
> __init__
>   File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/SimpleGladeApp.py", line
> 108, in __init__
>   File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 111, in
> new
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rfind'

> don't look pretty to me
>
> Oh let's see, I did the following things: Dled the source files for
> 0.9.5 and did a make install which failed, that's where I left you.
>
>  So I installed the suggested deps (duh???) and finished the make
> install properly, except I got the 1 second splash thingy which wasn't
> wanted. Then I updated to 0.9.10 hoping that that would solve all the
> problems, but it didn't.
>
> So, it was probably something that went wrong in the make install of
> 0.9.5 and perhaps because I didn't do the deps beforehand but
> afterwards?? maybe.. there were no error messages in the second make
> install (i checked) so i thought it should be good....

Please remove the manually installed gPodder version ("make uninstall"),
then remove the gPodder Ubuntu package. Please also double-check that
you have not got any leftover gPodder files in your /usr/local/ folder
that might have been left back while you tried installing gPodder by
hand. You have to delete these files manually or else Python might not
use the correct gPodder Python modules.

Now, follow the instructions on http://gpodderwiki.jottit.com/faq for
the question:

   "I believe my gPodder configuration is currupted - how do I start
    out with a fresh config?"

After you have done that, go to
http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=gPodder and download the gPodder
0.10.1 package there. Install it on your system and start gPodder.