[govinfo] FW: 2009 Freedom Forum FOI conference set for March 13

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <GOVDOC-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:05:28 -0500

There is no charge to attend, but because space is limited, participants must
register individually in advance. To register for the 2009 National FOI Day
Conference, you must: Send an e-mail to ahampton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call
202/292-6288. When registering, please provide your name, title, affiliation
and contact information.

Pardon any duplicate postings. Do NOT contact me to register.

Patrice McDermott, Director
Pmcdermott at openthegovernment.org
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)

2009 FOI conference set for March 13
News release

First Amendment Center Online staff
02.06.09
WASHINGTON ? The 11th annual National FOI Day Conference will be held on
Friday, March 13, in the Freedom Forum?s Newseum.
The theme of this year?s conference, hosted by the First Amendment Center, is
?Freedom and Information: Looking Back and Looking Forward.?
The program will include legal scholars, lawyers and journalists discussing the
state of freedom of information after the Bush administration and its prospects
in the Obama administration.
David Vladeck, a Georgetown University law professor, will speak on ?The Last
Eight Years: Freedom of Information in the Bush Era.? Meredith Fuchs, general
counsel for the National Security Archive, will moderate a discussion
afterwards with the following commentators: Mike German, national-security
expert, American Civil Liberties Union, Mark Tapscott, editorial-page editor,
The Washington Examiner, Richard A. Samp, chief counsel for the Washington
Legal Foundation, and  Professor Rena Steinzor of the University of Maryland
School of Law.
The FOI Day Conference, which brings together access advocates, government
officials, lawyers, librarians, journalists, educators and others, is presented
in association with Sunshine Week, the American Library Association and
OpenTheGovernment.org.
The conference will begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at noon. It will be at the
Knight Conference Center at the Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., 7th
floor. (Use the Sixth Street entrance.)
Ronald K.L. Collins, First Amendment scholar, said, ?We as a nation may be at a
turning point when it comes to open government. Of course, that remains to be
seen. Meanwhile, we need to assess where we?ve been and where we?re going so
far as freedom of information is concerned. This year?s FOI conference
addresses just such concerns.?
·  There is no charge to attend, but because space is limited, participants
must register individually in advance. To register for the 2009 National FOI
Day Conference, you must: Send an e-mail to ahampton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call
202/292-6288. When registering, please provide your name, title, affiliation
and contact information.
The First Amendment Center works to preserve and protect First Amendment
freedoms through information and education. The center serves as a forum for
the study and exploration of free-expression issues, including freedom of
speech, of the press and of religion, and the rights to assemble and to
petition the government. It is nonpartisan and neither litigates nor lobbies.
The First Amendment Center, with offices at Vanderbilt University in Nashville,
Tenn., and Washington, D.C., is an operating program of the Freedom Forum and
is associated with the Newseum and the Diversity Institute. Its affiliation
with Vanderbilt University is through the Vanderbilt Institute for Public
Policy Studies. Its offices on the Vanderbilt campus are located in the John
Seigenthaler Center.
Contact:
Ron Collins, 202/292-6292