[goodfeel] Re: Update: semester exam results

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <braillem@xxxxxxxxxx>, <menvi-discuss@xxxxxxxxx>, <braille-music-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:24:17 -0400

Dear Winy,

Warm congratulations.  In my book, you are a star!

For those of you who do not know about Winy's situation: Winy Kwany is the
first blind student to attend her music school in Indonesia.  She is a
talented pianist.  Over the past three years, this determined young woman
has met with countless obstacles in her pursuit of an education.  Most of
those obstacles have been man-made and have come in the form of prejudice
and ignorance about what a blind person can do.  Nevertheless, she continues
to overcome while she blazes the trail for those who will follow her.

She has learned to read braille music and to write print music using the
GOODFEEL suite of software.  She has learned to create sound recordings
independently using CakeTalking for SONAR.  She has called us for help after
many very long days.  We talk to her in the early afternoon here but she
calls us in the wee hours of the morning after all of her other work has
been completed.  Her work ethic reminds me of the story of the teen-age
Louis Braille who worked on his code for reading and writing far into the
night in his dormitory at the school for the blind after a full day of
classes and other responsibilities.  While his classmates slept, young Louis
worked and ultimately changed the world for blind people.  Winy's work is
going to change the world for the better for herself and for blind musicians
in her country.

Winy continues to teach her teachers on the subject of what she can do while
not worrying about those things which she cannot do.  I am one of her many
admirers.  Go for it, Winy!

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann