[goodfeel] Re: Clefs, Chords and Such

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 18:34:08 -0400

Hi, David,

I suggest that you use one of the SATB templates we ship with GOODFEEL 3.1
and Lime 9.  Check the folder:  C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents\Music\Lime Templates for all of them.  Alternatively, you
can open this folder from a short-cut from Start | Programs | Lime |
Templates.  Don't' forget to select File | Save As after opening any
template in order to save it as, say, Assignment for May 11.lim or something
like that so you don't overwrite your template.

These templates are set up to assign each part to its own staff.  That is,
each system has 4 staves: Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.

There is no facility built into Lime to accept, say, a 4-note chord and
assign each note to a separate part.  There are 2 ways to work: horizontally
or vertically.

Horizontal Note Entry

Use up and down arrow keys to move to the desired voice.

Move to bar 1, beat 1.

Enter all notes of that part.

Move back to the beginning.

Move down to the next part and do the same.

Use CONTROL+NUMPAD 8 to hear notes in all parts at the current bar and beat.

Vertical Entry

Move to bar 1, beat 1 of the Soprano part.

Enter the note for that part.

Press LEFT ARROW.

Press DOWN ARROW.

Enter the note for the Alto part.

Repeat LEFT ARROW and DOWN ARROW.

Enter note for tenor.

Repeat LEFT ARROW and DOWN ARROW.

Enter note for bass.

Again, use CONTROL+NUMPAD 8 to hear the chord at current bar and beat.

DOWN ARROW to enter the first note of the second chord in the Soprano and
repeat process above.

Once you're happy with your piece, you always have the option to join the
Soprano and Alto part and join the Tenor and Bass to make a system of 2
staves, each having 2 voices.

To join parts:

Move to first note of top staff (Soprano, that is).

ALT+V, V to open the Parts and Voices dialog.

Press ALT+T for "Together" to join the Soprano and Alto staves.

Press DOWN ARROW to move to Tenor in list of parts and press ALT+T again to
join the Tenor to the Bass part.

Either horizontal or vertical input method will work and you will probably
want to use both methods at various times for various reasons.  However, I
prefer the horizontal method in general.

Use Annotations | Text Category | Rehearsal to enter exercise numbers.

Use Annotations | Text Category | Other for text for figures.

Ask a trusted sighted helper to proof your Lime file to make sure that you
have not made things too crowded or too sparse.  Advanced users should check
out http://www.dancingdots.com/tsgf3/limepagelayout.htm for detailed
instructions but try the trusted sighted assistant approach first.

HTH,
Bill

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com