[gnulab-mesce] Volunteers needed -Gnu/Linux Distribution Collection Manager!

  • From: "ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu" <aeshyamae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "GNU Lab @ MESCE" <gnulab-mesce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:42:56 +0530

Hi,
Sabah Suggested about selling GNU distros when i called him last day. we
quickly arranged and made a list of about 11 distros..With the one day
experience from selling gnu distros,i think it will be better if we can make
it a rather constant process.Idea is a situation where Any student can get
his copy of a free software distro from us paying just for the medium at any
time.
For that we require one volunteer to continuously update, the collection.We
can try a discussion with library officials to host the collection over
there. In that case, The person  in charge, has just to review whether any
distro has a new version available or not, and if so,he has to make
arrangements to get it updated in the collection. May be the job requires an
aggregate time of at most 2-3hrs for the period of two weeks.(Just skimming
through your daily dosage of Free Software news will surely let you know of
these updates..say just skim through fsdaily or something..)
Advantage for taking up this job is that ,the person in charge will thus
have a good knowledge about the state of gnu/linux distributions
automatically.There by slowly,he can understand how the  internal
configuration differ between each distro while every distros are having
almost the very same programs. It would be nice,if he/she has some kind of
free bandwidth to try out these distros by download.

I like to call this rep as GDCM(GNU Distribution Collection Manager) as he
will play the key role in building the FS community in MESCE by providing
students with the latest copy of gnu
GDCM has a rather big social role,He/She will work as the mediator between
people who has a broadband connection with free download periods and those
who hardly have an internet connection,and there by leading the fight
against DIGITAL DIVIDE!!!

OK..SO YET NOT SATISFIED WITH all these?! if the community says OK,we can
think of Letting GDCM receive a part of the monetary profit we may implement
for the medium,and there by boosting his interest for the job. :)

Happy hacking
Shyam. K

(PS:മനോരാജ്യത്തില്‍ അര്‍ത്ഥരാജ്യമോ? checkout
http://www.freedomtoaster.orgone or more team can together make it
their main project!)