[gnulab-mesce] FreeRunner is here!!

  • From: "ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu" <aeshyamae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "GNU Lab @ MESCE" <gnulab-mesce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:10:58 +0530

Free Runner is the first consumer smart phone with freedom in it.  openmoko
releases the consumer version  after releasing a couple of developer
phone(it was "neo" back then)
Gec thrissur have a student with dev version of openmoko. and pramode sir
too have it (pramode.net) see his blogpost about that
http://pramode.net/2007/10/20/the-magic-box/ .it was purely dev versions
with battery backup for just 3hrs and charging time upto12hrs and sreeraj
@gec thrissur who too have this phone, hardly made a call with it!!as the
softwares were not much at that point
Now the game is different this is FreeRunner a consumer phone.,with just
20000/-
How this is different from other phones?
1) freedom
see http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2007-January/000000.html a
mail @ openmoko-announce titled "Free Your Phone"
2)just see this piece of talk between the consumer and company rep:
Michael <simarillion>: can somebody tell me if I will lose my warranty when
I open my Freerunner.
Sean Moss-Pultz <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxx>: [...] Do you really think we could get
away with that kind of policy?! This is Openmoko. If you *don't* open your
Neo, you should probably have your warranty voided ;-)
I took it from the blog here
http://psung.blogspot.com/2008/07/freerunner-first-impressions.html

i am thinking of giving it a try.,.its available inside india itself..see
http://www.idasystems.net/
Any one who wish to have freedom in their mobile phone(ops but for the
hardcore guys..even the concept of mobile phone is non-freedom as the big
brother can always chase you.. it emits signals even if its off..)
can have it.
FInally see the home of freerunner at openmoko.com

Get Involved!

Happy Hacking