[gnukhata-users] licensing policy change

  • From: Krishnakant <krmane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gnukhata-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:50:16 +0530

Dear all,
After discussing with Nagarjun in a week end meeting (minits minutes were posted on this list ) we have decided to change the license to afro GPL.
While it is perfectly ok for the deskapp to stay on gpl version 3, the web app which can be given as a cloud service must have the afro GPL.
So the current deskapp and core_engine will still be on gpl version 3.
We will be releaseing a docker based installer of the current stable core_engine and the stable deskapp at the earliest (perhaps in another week or 2 ).
While the core_engine will be a docker image the deskapp will be an all inclusive jar file which the user can just click and start GNUKhata.
The current deskapp has been highly appreciated by many accountants as I have mentioned earlier and we don't wish to keep them away from the free software which they so happyly wish to use.
It may take some time for all distros of Linux to have the current core_engine and Deskapp so docker wil be the way to go as we have found out what we were missing in the last attempt.
This way the current version, which is a result of 18 + months of hard work, will be available for all the users who have now started to ask us for an installer.
So This will be a great news for all those who are waiting to use GNUKhata.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.