[gmpi] where we at

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:04:17 -0700 (PDT)

Obviously no one wants to discuss this any more.  I think we're pretty close
to an A or B or nothing at all decision.

Should we debate merits again, or who is willing to bend?  I'm willing to
bend to the group will.  I'll be happy with some form of C, or A.

my position:

Option C
+ flexible
- complex
+ any plugin can reuse as many buffers as possible

Option A:
+ simple
+ well understood
- some plugins can't use it

  a) Yes.  A plugin-global flag indicates a plugins ability to do this.
     This tells the host that ANY input buffer may be re-used on ANY output
     (perhaps withing some higher-level grouping of stuff (think MIDI
     channel?)).  If a plug can not accept this rule, it must not use
     in-place processing. (VST model?)

  c) Yes.  A plugin is given inputs and produces it's own output buffers
     based on internal knowledge or other variables.  The host is not
     involved, except to furnish new buffers as requested.  The plugin must
     re-use or release all input buffers.  Variations on this can be devised
     to allowed shared input/outputs. (baton passing, or similar to DX
     model)