[gmpi] Re: undo and controls

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:23:26 -0400

> What is so harmful about providing off the shelf MIDI<>GMPI converter
> plugins?

Why not provide code to do that, and let hosts do it, instead of opening
a new window of the API?
<<<

That's exactly what I want!  I want *us*, the GMPI-WG, to provide this
code.  GMPI API remains intact.

Because then every host has to support MIDI in order to use those
plugins.
<<<

I agree that only a subset of legacy plugins will be coded this way.
The host can support them by way of the converter component.

I am working on a host.  I want to support GMPI fully and totally.  I do
not want to do too much with MIDI.  How am I supposed to work with a
plugin that only takes MIDI input?  I can't undo it, I can't keep UIs in
sync with it, I cant record automation for it, I can't sequence it.
Do you see what I am saying?  Do you not see this as a problem?  Am I
missing something?
\<<<<

You instantiate a GMPI->MIDI converter, a patch it in front of the MIDI
plugins control input.  Then you talk GMPI to the plugin.  Or am I the
one who is oversimplifying?

We've agreed that we need GMPI<->LegacyFormat wrappers.  What I'm
proposing is GMPI<->MIDI shim.