[gmpi] Re: string encoding in teh API (UTFs)

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:54:27 +1300

It doesn't address the fact that Windows' implementation (UCS-2) can't
represent all of unicode.

The UNICODE test pages display fine here, including the extended planes, e.g. Etruscan.

It does address byte-order marks, but are we really going to suggest that
is a useful thing to do on every string?

Neither Windows nor OS-X APIs use byte-order-marks in strings.

It doesn't discuss that wchar_t is not actually guaranteed to be any
specific width.
...  We have to pass strings between objects from
different compilers as well as possibly across networks.

Both Windows and OS-X SDKs require consistent byte-ordering and character width in strings.

A large number of compilers target Windows or Mac, (including GNU).  So
which compilers have a problem?

> We want source-code compatibility as much as we possibly can.

Agree totally.

The Mozilla browser, Über cross-platform. Source code and internal interfaces use wide-chars.

Still, if the group is happy with UTF-8, it's fine with me.

Best Regards,
Jeff