[gmpi] Re: ramps vs audio-rate controls

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:44:27 +0000

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:09:22AM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > We're supposed to be forward thinking, right?
> >
> > Hmmm... IMHO stardards should not require research to get them written.
> > If you are writign anything into the standard which has need been tried
> > and tested in muptiple systems you're asking for truoble.
>
> A *lot* of what we're talking about in GMPI is experimental.  If we really
> want to take the approach of not experimenting, then we should be keeping
> everything very simple and similar to what exists today.

I havent seen anything go past that I think is experiemental (I would have
complained). Ramps exists in DX and audality at least, events in many
systems, unified audio data in VST and LADSPA, MIDI parsing in
alsa-sequencer, metadata in LADSPA. What is experimental? I've seen this
more as taking the best features from each system.