[gmpi] Re: ramped parameters

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:57:32 +1300

> being processed. A dumber host could send values as they are received with a "flat" or, better yet, "unspecified" slope.

If the host doesn't know the slope, how can the plugin?

Ignoring the issue only forces every plugin writer to implement smoothing, destroying our opportunity to simplify plugin design.

A 'dumb' host should send values with a short ramp value, thereby providing reasonable, if not optimal, zipper-noise removal.

Jeff

ben wrote:
Sorry if I'm a bit behind here, I'm following this discussion in digest-mode.

After some thought I'm reversing my opinion. Parameters should be sent as sample-timestamped values+slope, at any rate up to the audio sample rate. A host can delay all live incoming controls by some small amount so that it can generate slope information for each parameter in the timeslice currently being processed. A dumber host could send values as they are received with a "flat" or, better yet, "unspecified" slope. I suppose a slope with an "unspecified" value could also be accomodated? Interesting (but probably dangerous) implications.

If I am writing a plugin, I must choose how to accomodate an abrupt change that is sent to me. I can choose to ramp it to avoid artifacts, or I can choose to apply the value exactly as it is sent to me. In either case I will likely annoy some user somewhere, but such is life.

-Ben Loftis