[gmpi] Re: ramped parameters

  • From: "Didier Dambrin" <didid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:43:21 +0100

> -one interpolation is to avoid zipper noise, and should be handled by
> the plugin, and depends on the type of parameter, and its probability
of being automated

Ah, no. If you are given a ramp, you don't need to de-zipper it. It already is.

and how would the host know the minimum ramping length to avoid zipper noise for that parameter? It depends on things that only the plugin knows.

> (let's face it we don't ramp every parameter, it'd be a waste of CPU)

In that case, just jump to the ramp's end point, or break it down into 'chunkier' steps. That's the plugin's decision.

Either way, plugin don't need de-zipper code, that's pointless duplication.

Zipper-noise is the disease, ramps are the cure.

not arbitrary ramps, it's a per-parameter case

You don't ramp a knob that adjusts a level in a -5..5dB range the same way as a knob that adjusts it in a -10..10dB. You can ramp the way you want, if you do it too quickly for the parameter, it's gonna produce zipper noise.