[gmpi] Re: plug-in as tempo master

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:24:05 +0100

On Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:59 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Michael Stauffer <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We've developed some
> very flexible tempo-tracking and beat-tracking technologies that we're
> making into commercial programs.

Thank god... I'm not alone any longer. Nice to see other people are also
starting to think about things like that :-)

> I have two proposals:

> -Proposal 2-
> Realtime control of host tempo
>
> That a plug-in be able to act as realtime tempo master to its host,
> instead of only the more usual scenario in which the plug-in gets
> tempo from the host. For realtime purposes, the host would sync to
> the tempo messages from the plug-in, much like most hosts these days
> can sync to midi clock or ReWire.

>> From what I've researched so far about existing plug-in capabilities,
> these features are not currently available. If anyone knows of a
> plug-in format that can handle either or both of these features,
> please let me know!

Nice, nice, nice...

Now, two things:

1. Actually, we did already discuss a bit about this, as I have asked for
the exact same thing some time ago. Do a search for the following message,
and then check out the follow-ups (basically, alomost anyone was saying:
"most hosts wouldn't want to allow that" :-(  ):

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003 12:47 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Koen Tanghe <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, one thing I have been waiting to see is a possibility to send
> tempo to the host. For example: I want to make a tempo tracker plugin
> that extracts the tempo from an audio stream and have that being used
> as the "master tempo" to which all other things are time-sync'd in a
> musical sense (good for live performances and music that calls for
> easy tempo fluctuations). Maybe this could be an application of this
> generic approach: tempo is just a "control signal" send from the
> plugin to the host (or just the plugins you select if you're doing
> multi-tempo/poly-rhythmic "experimental" music). Koen
>
> PS
> If anyone knows plugin API's / hosts where I could actually already
> do that now, please let me know?

2. As you can see from my above text, I also asked about plugin API's and
hosts that can handle it, and it seems that the way to go is: VST plugins in
Bidule. If you ask David Viens from Plogue (http://www.plogue.com), he'll
tell you what's the state of tempo-syncing from plugins in Bidule. No other
host I know of can do it (correct me if I'm wrong), especially not
track-based hosts...

Good luck!

Koen Tanghe - Smartelectronix
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~koen