[gmpi] Re: parameter recall

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

> >With XAP I suggested a per-voice SEEK control.  If a Plugin implements the
> >SEEK control (totally optional) the host can jump into the middle of your
> >sustained pads by issuing a seek on the voice.  This doesn't work so well
> >for reverbs and stuff.
> >

> That is one way to accomplish it, but it puts the burden on the plugin
> writer.  If we made it convenient for the plugin writer to allocate internal
> buffers and parameters (i.e. the entire state) via GMPI, then this could
> happen magically in the host.  Hence 3 different styles of parameters that
> have been discussed earlier:

> static (set at startup)
> public (available to GUI/realtime automation)
> private (internal data blob, available to snapshots)

> Why is this so foreign?  This is how an audio recorder works, right?  Why
> would the typical, untechnical user expect a sequencer to work any
> differently?
> Musician:  Hey, why isn't the drum loop playing back during my punch-in?
> TechHead:  Oh, you started playback after the "MIDI ON" message to the
> sampler plugin.   Roll back a few more measures.
> Musician:  ??

I always assumed that samplers and the likes would pre-load samples (well,
small ones anyway) so you could do this.  The fun part is NOT samples, but
synthesized sounds that evolve over time.  You need to tell the synth "start
this note, but warp forward in time by X ticks".  That is what a SEEk
control does.  If a plugin can do that, then it will just work.  Loop
players could support it pretty trivially, and those are a large part of the
problem set.  Pads and strings are most of the rest ;)