[gmpi] Re: moving forward

  • From: lists@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:53:57 -0400

Sorry to disagree withyou, Chris, my old compadre, but I'd suggest leaving out the (c) thing, making a notice along these lines:
Copyright 2003 by Peas and Carrots

Actually, any of these three work (no need to use more than one):
- the letter C in a circle symbol
- the word "Copyright"
- the abbreviation "Copr."

(c) doesn't have any legal status in many places, including the U.S. (it's not considered an ASCII equivalent to the non-ASCII circle-c symbol).

This applies to the U.S., of course, and a lot of people on this list don't live there, but I do think this applies pretty broadly in any country that's a signator of the Berne Convention.

For U.S. law, check http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html and scroll down to "Form of Notice for Visually Perceptible Copies."

[Insert ."/im_not_a_lawyer_boilerplate.txt" here]

Cheers,
Jim Rippie

At 10:38 AM -0700 4/6/05, Chris Grigg wrote:
Be sure you include a copyright notice in all files, then, along the lines of the following:

/* Copyright (c) 2003, 2004 by Tom Hockin and Jeff McClintock */

        -- Chris G.

Tim said:
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:20:45AM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
 I want to make sure we are careful about the whole copyright issue.  Any
 code that's released needs to be (c) something, so that if we ultimately
 transfer the whole ball of wax to some other copyright holder there is a
 clear transfer.  Any thoughts about who should own the initial copyright
 to what Tim proposes to publish?

Right now it is 99% Jeff and I who own it. We can leave it as such until we have a better answer, with a license that makes it clear that ownership might be transferred to another party.

 Also, Chris Grigg pointed out to me that we ought to put verbiage in all
 code to indicate that it isn't official GMPI yet.  He suggested a
 boilerplate like this:

Fine with me.