[gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:04:39 -0700

Steve Harris wrote:

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:11:09 -0500, Ron Kuper wrote:

and more to the point, from my perspective: you're taking a mechanism
that has not been well tested in a genuinely distributed environment
<<<

I disagree.  My registry contains thousands of CLSIDs.  Every system
running Windows on the desktop does too, and they all depend on the
uniqueness of GUIDs.  COM wouldn't work otherwise.

But it only has to be unique on a very small scale. There have been
problems with GUIDs in the past when people attempted to apply them on the
internet scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID#Algorithm), so what
makes you think there wont be in the future?

I believe that it needs to be unique on exactly the same scale for GMPI as it does for CLSIDs on Windows, except that there are likely to be many fewer total GMPI plugins in the world than there are COM object in the world. I'm not sure why you are using "internet scale" to describe GMPI, if by internet scale you mean urls on the web (which, BTW, have a second requirement, which is that they be heirarchically designed which is not necessary for a GMPI plugin ID).

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems