[gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:19:03 +0000

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:36:18 -0500, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Surely we can write the few hundred lines of C, following a standard,
> well-documented algorithm, that it takes to generate GUIDs?

The implementation is heavily OS and hardware dependent. GNU libc includes
an implementation, that should be portable to the majority of UNIX systems.

There are online services that can generate one-off GUIDs for you. You
would have to trust that they were built with relable implementations
though, so I would only trust one provded by a well known institiution.