[gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:02:54 -0500

>I was thinking GUIDs.  We could make them string-ified GUIDs if that
>helps.  In your opinion are GUIDs as hard to discover and assign as
>strings?

psuedo-URI's are infinitely preferable to GUIDs. simply take a domain
that you have some control over (it doesn't even have to exist), and:

     someprotocol://yourdomain/fooey

of course, if the URI actually points to something useful, all the
better. steve knows more about this technique than me, but i've used
it and its better in every way.

--p