[gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:52:22 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "B.J. Buchalter" <bj@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:38 AM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

> on 2/7/05 9:13 PM, Tim Hockin at thockin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:53:56PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> this is not the same situation as you describe for COM. but i just
> >> have a bad feeling about the assumption that you can write a single
> >> interface and assume that it works for C and C++
> >> "natively". obviously, any C interface (more or less) can be in C++
> >> but only in the "C-like" way. This is part of the reason that a number
> >> of us insisted on C as the implementation language for the spec.
> >
> > I too feel dirty about this.  I'm trusting the C++ experts on this, but
> > it feels very delicate to me...
>
> Relying on the compiler to build a COM compatible vtable is risky.

not in "C".

> OTOH, it may be the case that, since COM is making its way across
> the platforms, all C++ compilers will conform to the COM vtable
> specifications (e.g. first member of object is pointer to vtable, virtual
> members are placed in vtable in order that they appear in class
> declaration).

the method order is important, the place of Vtable in the struct is not
important (think that there is maybe different interface so different
vtable... all cannot be the first member of the structure. I invite you to
read The COM Programmer's Cookbook
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncomg/html/msdn_com_co.asp

Well, Since GMPI is at this point (learning programming :-) it's my last
message for this year.
see you next year !
VB