[gmpi] Re: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:04:33 +1300

> So clearly, the identifier is optional. Either MS' compiler is broken, or the error indicates something else.

It's legal C, but it's causing problems when I include the header in my C++ file. I think (not sure) that it's not legal C++.

typedef struct IGMPI_Plugin
{
   struct IGMPI_Plugin *Vtable;
}IGMPI_Plugin;

does compile (not sure why I didn't try that earlier)..

Jeff

Tim Hockin wrote:
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:06:58PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:

typedef struct {
       struct IGMPI_PluginVtbl *Vtbl;
} IGMPI_Plugin;

Bill Gates don't like it...

error C2371: 'IGMPI_Plugin' : redefinition; different basic types

I don't know what that error means, but the K&R (ANSI) book says:

struct-or-union-specifier:
        struct-or-union identifier(opt) { struct-declaration-list }
        struct-or-union identifier

So clearly, the identifier is optional.  Either MS' compiler is broken, or
the error indicates something else.

And if we need, I'll email Kernighan - apparantly he works here, too now.
:P