[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #5 - GUI windows

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:29:34 +0000

My last comment wasnt very helpful I guess, but for comparison look at the
DSSI GUI spec. There GUIs are lanuched by the host, and communicate with
the host/plugin via some standardised comms (OSC in that case, natch).
http://dssi.sourceforge.net/RFC.html#toc11

This allows the UI a lot of freedom to do/be whatever the hell it likes,
provides a common IPC channel for all DSSI plugins and makes host based
and UI based automation fairly straightforward.

Simple control changes are sent/received by the obvious OSC serialisation,
bulk data dumps and other arbitrary, opaque datablocks are sent via a
seperate osc path.

- Steve