[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #5 - GUI windows

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:46:50 +0100

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004 1:11 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:50:22PM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
>>> I am opposed to multiple editors.  What does it mean for a plugin to
>>> have 2 editors open at the same time in the same host?  The user can
>>> only interact with one at a time anyway, so it seems like a needless
>>> generalization.  Allowing it also means a plugin has to manage keeping
>>> multiple GUIs in sync for updates -- again, needless complexity.
>>
>> I tend to agree with Ron, but maybe I'm missing something.
>> Can someone bring up a use case for having multiple editors, so we can
>> "see the light"?
>
> Well, one way to think of a motorized MIDI unit is as a UI.  This "editor"
> isn't GUI visible, but is a bi-directional communication with a plugin's
> parameters.

Oh, sure, actually I was one the guys who brought up the motorized fader
controls use case IIRC. No doubt we need bi-directional communication with
multiple controllers.
I really thought we were just talking about editors that are shown on
screen.
I'm fully for the MVC concept, no doubt about that.

It's true that allowing more than one editor doesn't require anything
special since we are already using the MVC model. I just wasn't sure
multiple editors (on screen, as I understood) could be of use, but it's true
that that's no reason to disallow it. Also, for me, 1 editor can have
multiple windows, but as Michael Gogins showed, some people may rather see
that as multiple editors with 1 window instead of 1 editor with multiple
windows.
So: multiple editors, OK.

Koen