[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:18:49 -0800

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:44:29AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> my understanding of events is that they are processed synchronously
> with audio processing. that doesn't work for a GUI that wants to show
> the user a rolling "flow" through a value range. or at the very least,
> it doesn't work very well at all.

Right.  every GUI param change has a latency to when it is actually
audible.

> i think that you can't to do this with events, it has to be done with
> explicit, synchronous callbacks into the plugin. also, i think this is
> a massively better design than even the AU model - trying to enumerate
> all the possibilities for parameters is a battle nobody can win.

You think which is a better design?

The design I suggested for increment takes this into account, by
explicitly making the caller send an event.  Thus, if the GUI wants to
send an event for every increment, it can.  If it wants to have a
rate limit and only send one event per second, it can.

Adding a synchronous way of changing a parameter becomes a locking
nightmare for every plugin devel.