[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:22:56 -0800

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:48:02AM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I don't really think that this is some brand new requirement. I
> rather think that this is a refinement of how host-based UI for plugins
> would work. It will be very nice if we can provide a mechanism to support
> text entry in the host for plugin parameters, regardless of the presence of
> custom UI. And I don't think that raw entry of the parameter is in its

What about a Parametyer Pre-processor.  You input a string, and it turns
the string into a "real" parameter.  If you have these parameters where
the textual representation is not literally derived from the value (most
WILL be literal: int 3 == "3"), then you provide a pre-processor.

Does that meet the need for textual input?

>       The increment/decrement that I want are strictly for display values.
> I would like to have a call where I can ask the plugin, given a value, can
> you tell me what the value would be if I incremented by one standard
> unit. Or by 10 standard units. Or 0.1. The plugin gets to decide what
> the standard units are. I also need the max and min values. The host
> would have the responsibility of actually sending the new real parameter
> value. The increment call would strictly be for UI purposes.

So this is NOT solved by the proe-processor.  But it can be viewed as
orthogonal.

Does a model like this work:

host:
  if (param->increment)
        newval = param->increment(oldval, 5);
        send_event(param, newval);

It's complexity, but it's complexity that is totally optional for plugins.
It's a feature that is enabled if your host and plugin both support it.

I'm not for it nor against it.  It doesn't make me too uncomfortable.

What think?