[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #2 latency

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:26:27 -0600

I happen to think that this is one place where VST works pretty well, finding a fair balance between plugin flexibility and host complexity. Following VST would mean:

1.) Plugins must report their latency when the graph is started.
2.) Plugins can change the latency they report any time they are asked. However, hosts will only ask at times that are convenient. This means that for most hosts, dynamic latency correction while the graph is running will not happen, but it would be possible to write a host which did compensate dynamically.

As for the other questions, I think that plugins should always assume that events received correspond to the time of the input data, not the output. So a parameter change will be heard by the user after the latency has passed. I know that you could have some parameters which could be applied without latency, such as the output volume of a transform-based filter, but this would lead to a perplexed user, and I don't want every parameter to have its own latency value.
This would also cover the DSP card case. If they have audio but not control latency, then it is the plugins responsibility to buffer the events as necessary.

Mike

Tim Hockin wrote:
A few latency related items.

Do plugins need to report their latency?  Does it need to be dynamic? Can
a plugin change it's latency based on some parameter?

There was an email discussion on latent plugins hinting that they should
receive their events early.  Do we want to deal with this?

There was a discussion about DSP cards with audio latency, but no
control latency.  Do we want to deal with this?

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems