[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:11:29 -0800

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:37:27PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Many hosts and plugins use functions like atod, strtod, sscanf and
> C++'s various functions to convert serialized data from strings into
> numerical representations. Similarly, functions such as printf,
> sprintf and C++'s "<<" operators are used to convert in the opposite
> direction.

Where is that data going when it is serialized (stringified) and where is
it coming from when it is deserialized?

> However, these functions are often locale-sensitive, which means the

Absolutely!  But locale *only* matters when an end user is going to be
part of the equasion.    If your plugin or host wants to store it's own
data in ROT13 or base64 or whatever, that's fine, provided that no user
will be asked to input that data or read that data.  Right?

> If plugin state is serialized in string format, GMPI will need to do
> one or more of the following (or other solutions):
>
>    a) specify a locale for generating and interpreting these strings

We already talked about making the locale available to plugins, but that
is only for data they want to show the user.  Serialized data should be
totally locale agnostic.  Imagine saving data in en_US and reading it back
in ja_JP!

>    b) provide conversion functions that are locale insensitive

We surely need these.  Since we already decided we want plugins to be able
to output and input strings, we need to provide a host-ish way to help.

But this is not the plugin's save-state and stuff.  This is just stuff the
user interacts with.