[gmpi] Re: licensing

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:51:06 -0700

Ron Kuper wrote:

Many people will want to modify the SDK and redistribute it (inside
thier hosts), so I dont think you can prevent this if we allow open
source
implementations, while allowing use of the SDK.
<<<

But if they do, will they call it GMPI? If we have a commercial entity
with big corporations owning GMPI, it's a deterrent to anyone creating
something that's not GMPI and calling it GMPI.

It seems to me that the API and the SDK should not necessarily be under the same license. We don't want anyone modifying the API, because that *IS* GMPI and is what determines compatibility. The SDK, on the other hand, should be open to modification. Why would we care? As long as it is using the same API, compatibility is guaranteed.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems