[gmpi] Re: gstreamer

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:48:12 -0700

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:14:24PM +0200, Marco Ballini wrote:
> (they're a lot!). I read some, and if I recall correctly GStreamer in
> not considered in the APIs to review. Do you think it could help?
> I'm not familiar with it, but it seems to have interesting features:
> Arbitrary data types, an interesting memory management (pool of
> buffers), etc...

GSTreamer is a VERY complicated API with different goals than us.  We care
mostly about reliability, timing, latency, and simplicity. GStreamer is more
about universal compatibility.  They are push based, which makes timing
weird.

Also, my personal opinion, their API is grotesquely complicated.  I'm all
for OO, but it is VERY hard to get started in GStreamer and really
understand what it is doing.  I had some bugs in the GSTreamer core when I
was playing with it, and I was INCAPABLE of tracking them down (and I'm a
GOOD debugger).

The code-base is enormous and convoluted, and they focus largely on video.
That is what they are most interested in.

Could it be made to work?  Probably.  I don't think it is the best option.