[gmpi] Re: [gmpi][API] +++ RESET +++ (Busses)

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:01:18 +0100 (CET)

> However, I think at this time we should discuss criteria. If an
> existing "standard" meets those, it should be a base for GMPI.

Or "could" be a base.  ;-)  There are two questions that precede the
"should":

(1)  Do folks agree that they want to start from another format?
(2)  Will the owners of the most loved format agree to give it up to a
standards body?

I don't think that 1 should be asked or answered at this point, but
perhaps it might be nice to know something about 2 now.  I was at the
first GMPI meeting at NAMM and this topic did come up...

Ron Kuper said that CakeWalk is fully willing to give up control of DXi.
Wolfgang (I think that was his name) from Steinberg said that we should
all adopt VST as the "standard," but that Steinberg is definitely NOT
willing to give up control of VST to a standards body (don't ask me to
try to explain that, I'm just the messanger).  Those are the only two
plugin format owners who spoke on the topic.

Marc