[gmpi] Re: [gmpi][API] +++ RESET +++ (Busses)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:01:15 -0800 (PST)

> regarding these 2 topics I see a demand for something hat goes beyond
> anything I've seen anywhere:
>
> The plugin must know how many buffers it get's fed and what they're
> for. Same applies to outgoing buffers.
>
> In AU world, you specify I/O configurations by a list of value pairs,
> like {{1,1},{2,2},{7,5}}, hence have no proper semantic to determine
> which input or output stream belongs to which feature you advertise.
> Same with VST.
>
> PROPOSAL: I suggest to set up I/O configurations in a grouped manner,

The XAP API is evolving mery much in this manner - you have Modules or Bays
or something we haven't quite agreed on yet.  Each <thing> has a number of
controls and/or audio ports. You could have a module which is named
"sidechain" and one named "master".  The user then has a clue what they are
doing.

> typedef struct {
>       float *samples;
>       long numSamples;
>       double samplerate;
>       int flags; // interleaved, read, write etc.
> } buffer;

I'll argue until I am blue in the face that sample-rate should be constant
and interleaved should PROBABLY not be an option.