[gmpi] Re: gmpi Digest V1 #65 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:04:18 +0200

On Friday, April 16, 2004 3:06 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Jeff McClintock <xxxjeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What happens to the parameters in the GUI/control surface when you hit
>> the morph wheel?  I don't suspect they move in the UI.  That's a cool
>> feature that some synths will want to do.
>>
>> Others are already doing the sort of morph that requires the parameters
>> to ACTUALLY change in the VST world.
>
> Ah, The actor.
>
> Think of morphing as a special case of parameter linking.
>
> Actor is informed when the morph_ammount changes (it's just a parameter).
> Actor updates other parameters to new posistion.  Like any other thing the
> actor does, the UI gets updated, the parameters get updated, it's all
> recordable etc.
>
> pretend code...
>
> Actor::SetParameter( param_id, new_value )
> {
>     if( param_id = "morph ammount" )
>    {
>         A= host->getParameter (patch_A, "other_param")
>         B= host->getParameter (patch_B, "other_param")
>         morphed_val = A * new_value + B * (1-new_value)    //interpolation
>         host->setparameter("other_param", morphed_val )
>    }
> }
>
> Advantages:
> - actor is still handling morphing
> - UI reflects the morph
> - stored parameters reflect the morph
> - Actor API is minimal (1 function)
>
> The UI reflects the morph, there's no downside, the whole thing is dead
> simple.

For your definition of morphing (the "user-controlled crossfader" way) this
surely works fine.

Alright: now explain in detail how do you do this then:
1. user presses a button on the plugin UI
2. all parameters of the plugin start changing from one set to another
automatically while I am doing nothing, just listening and watching
3. while all parameters are changing, the UI reflects these changes (sliders
move, knobs turn)
4. this is an essential part of my plugin and must work in ALL hosts

So, how do you do it?

And please don't say that "it is a bad way of doing morphing". And if you
are still thinking that, go to OhmForce's website, download one of their
plugins, try it, and also look in the forums and read what *users* are
thinking about this way of doing morphing ;-)

Koen