[gmpi] Re: gmpi Digest V1 #182

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:49:04 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Loftis" <ben@xxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:33 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: gmpi Digest V1 #182

> >>What kind of metadata?  Is it really easier to store meta-data outside
the
> >>plugin than to just ask the plugin?
> >>
> >YES, it's easier.  You don't have to load, instantiate, and query the
> >plugin if the info is available outside the plugin.  I have one plugin
> >that takes about 15 seconds to load.... and I have HUNDREDS of plugins.
> >That could get very messy (IS very messy for me already with VST).  I
> >think an external plugin description is a MUST.
>
> Let me point out that, if this truly is an issue, the smart host

>developers can create their own registry system.
>It's not the core focus of GMPI.

yes , but it's logical that GMPI provide all support for hosting as well as
Plug-in architecture. And personnaly i would prefer that GMPI defines all
concerning plug-in including hosting and installation/de-installation to
avoid problem due to clever programmers with great idea who could invente a
new method to transform the beautifull GMPI norm into a instable crap .

Vincent Burel