[gmpi] Re: [gimp] Re: the name GMPI - off topic a bit, relative tofocus groups and naming

  • From: Kord F Taylor <syntropique@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:14:20 -0800

True paul,

Anything *can* work out, Lord willing. All marketing-type research can be
pointless and a time-sink if the founder/driving vision is good at being
"the customer" and/or the product has little or no competition.

Not all ventures have the same capitalization and market-timing that some
companies have had.

Focus groups are often more overlooked in tech due to its heritage of
breakthroughs/no competition and particularly absent in audio SW since it is
a small market with a lot of companies with little time or $.

Perhaps more customer focus will happen as tech gets more commoditized and
competitive.

Furthermore, successful standards are not necessarily products or need names
anyway. You can just take the AES and SMPTE approach and give it a number
and let companies just use the stuff. On the spec sheet your product just
has a SW equivalent of an "AES/EBU" spigot with the same (often wrong)
assumptions:^).

Or there is the 1394 fiasco where some folks choose numbers and others
choose "different" names for the same thing.

However, I would contend that it gives you a better idea of the outcome of
your efforts with focus research and it is not hard to do, especially in our
business where folks are passionate about the work.

Most of our users just want something that works for them, whatever it's
called (I bought *ONE CD* that works with all my apps and platforms). That
is the tuff thing and it's usually more about business politics than
technologies.

'nuff said.

--kT