[gmpi] Re: channels, resources and other stuff

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:33:46 -0400

>I'd like also to understand the exact goals of this API (for example if
>you could add, remove plugins or change connection between them while
>others are running).

i don't think that this has been defined. its really part of the
host-side SDK rather than the plugin API per se.

>Here are some questions (forgive me):

my answers are based on my understanding of the discussion so far.

>- How multiple voices are handled in a synth plugin?
>(This led my to my definition of channels.)

its up to the plugin how it maps voices to its outputs. the API says
nothing about it.

>- Is there an agreement on what a "channel" is?
>How would you handle a mixer with arbitrary inputs? (I use channels for
>that)

this has been discussed. you'll have to read the archives for
more. the proposals here are quite complex.

>- Will network plugins be allowed (plugin that contain other plugins in
>a graph. in that case the host could be a thin layer around a network
>plugin)?

there are no restrictions on what a "network" or "shell" plugin can
do, as long as it follows the API. there is some evidence from the VST
world that such plugins require an additional interrogation API
(e.g. VST's new shell plugin stuff, written to handles Waves plugins).

>- Will sequencer plugins be allowed (on the same graph level of the
>plugins it controls)?

of course. did you read steve harris' summary of the types of data
that are proposed? "music" data is a notation for "something like MIDI".

>- Will shared resources be allowed (for example a wave, an envelope, a
>song or a graph-configuration shared between many plugins)?

not defined.

>- Will developers have to write many plugins (as in LADSPA) to allow a
>control (example: cut-off, resonance, volume) to be handled both with
>single events or with a stream of values (for example from an audio
>output from another plugin)? Will have the user to destroy and recreate
>the plugin to change the type of connection?

hard to pin down from the discussion so far. anybody else?

>- Is the distiction between audio data and control data realy needed?
>(I consider audio and control just *hints* for a parameter)

>- How will memory be available to a plugin (a function, an event,
>or...)?

not defined, but probably a function in the plugin SDK/API.