[gmpi] Re: audio rate controls

  • From: ben <ben@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:00:02 -0500

Events with a sample-accurate timestamp get my vote.  This way you can
approach audio-rate in cases where you must.  In cases where it is an
absolute necessity that the plugin apply a perfect-slope DSP change
( algorithmic signal generation or something ? ), the host could allow the
plugin to "look ahead" into the next value(s) to generate a higher order
curve fit.  This was  discussed before but I don't know if it made it into
the spec.  I'd leave it out personally.

Of course in real-time, a "ramp" or "slope" value is impractical to implement
anyway.  If the user is twiddling a knob, there is no way to anticipate what
or when the next value will be ... if you try to generate a slope based on
the last value, you may overshoot when the user stops turning a knob.  Of
course during automation playback, you have the ability to generate ramps but
then you have the problem where the playback does not exactly match what the
performer heard when recording (bad!!).

In my experience, every DSP element works the same way internally: give me a
new value and I will ramp towards it at some arbitrary rate.  I think some
DSP filtering processes would become unstable if they were to track an
arbitrarily changing value at audio rate.  The DSP change must necessarily
lag behind the operator.  This means that every DAW operator in existence is
used to hearing the effect of a plugin some time after the change shown on
our monitor.  Our brains accomodate this delay and we can make it sound
"right" without any software intervention.

-Ben Loftis