[gmpi] Re: a little order?

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:55:36 +0100 (CET)

> > My VST list:
> > [...snip...]
> > - no _true_ support for arbitrary number of inputs/outputs
>
> I'm just going to focus on this one item, as it's one of
> my pet peeves.
>
> VST as specified supports arbitrary numbers of inputs
> and outputs just fine. It's the hosts -- most of them,
> anyway -- that don't support the concept well.
>
> The very first VST host I was exposed to took the
> sensible approach and allows any combination of I/Os.
> It came as an unhappy shock to me to discover that
> most hosts don't do so.
>
> To inject a note of bitter-old-man-ness into the GMPI
> discussion: Why bother trying to specify a better plugin
> specification when the hosts are going to constrain it
> needlessly and then implement it wrong anyway?

Injecting some counter-bitterness: The reason why host support for VST is
so hopefully wacked is because, even years after the API has been
introduced, there is still NO host documentation, zero, none.  Aside from
terrible underdocumentation, VST is also just an extremely poorly
designed, messy, convoluted, and overly redundant/clashing API.  Sorry,
but if you are going to make this sort of argument based on experience
with VST, I personally am definitely not going to buy it.  It is possible
to make a well designed API that is thoroughly documented, both for host
and plugs, and to see it well supported by plugs and hosts.  VST is just
about the farthest thing from that, though, so I would not let your
experiences with it color your outlook for other possibilities.

The "pins" system in VST is a pathetic mess, mixed in with the contrary
requirement to setNumInputs and setNumOutputs upon construction with a
single pair of values.  A good counter-example I think is the AU system.
If you don't define any i/o config, then it's assumed that your plugin can
process any n number of channels (as long as number of inputs = outputs).
This is great and works for most plugins.  If it doesn't work, though,
then you can provide an array of unlimited size that includes every i/o
quantity pair that your plugin supports.

Marc