[gmpi] Re: a little order?

  • From: "Russell Borogove" <kaleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:42:04 -0800

Urs Heckmann wrote:
> My VST list:
> [...snip...]
> - no _true_ support for arbitrary number of inputs/outputs

I'm just going to focus on this one item, as it's one of
my pet peeves.

VST as specified supports arbitrary numbers of inputs
and outputs just fine. It's the hosts -- most of them,
anyway -- that don't support the concept well.

The very first VST host I was exposed to took the
sensible approach and allows any combination of I/Os.
It came as an unhappy shock to me to discover that
most hosts don't do so.

To inject a note of bitter-old-man-ness into the GMPI
discussion: Why bother trying to specify a better plugin
specification when the hosts are going to constrain it
needlessly and then implement it wrong anyway?

-Borogove