[gmpi] Re: a bit on MIDI (was ramped events)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:52:06 -0800

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:41:29PM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> > Here is a real issue I had not thought of - If GMPI is radically
> > different on this front, then it makes life harder to write a plugin
> > that is released as GMPI and VST/AU/etc.  On the other hand, I don't
> > care.  I want to supplant VST.
>
> Personally, I would think converting from internal "conceptual messages"
> into "MIDI bytes" is only done in the wrapper for the plugin format it's
> being used in. So, if the code is written that way, the MIDI handling is not
> done directly and can be exchanged for something else, right?

I meant people who are simultaneously releasing a plugin as VST, AU, RTAS
and GMPI - they have to handle things differently. If GMPI is radically
different than "I got some MIDI - now I'll parse it", then they need to make
big differences.  But I *don't* think it is a bad thing.  It's just
progress, and progress hurts sometimes.  Especially when you have to support
the old way AND the new way.