[gmpi] Re: XAP

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:27:35 +0100

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 03.51, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> I'm a co-author of XAP.  I'd say we're 70% done with discussions
> and idea slinging, and 30% done with docs.  I'm working on docs. :)

Yeah, that's about it. (Although having an actual implementation of an
effectively identical event system running might count. ;-)

Anyway, my point is that we've touched lots of stuff, and settled on
the most important details, but very little is *totally* set in
stone, as we're not talking about a finalized API.

[...]
> I have to come forward and say that I detest the idea of calling my
> plugins 'Gimpy' (GMPI).  It has a bad connotation in English.

Well, I'm not a native english speaker, but I have to agree...

Besides, the "speakable" version sounds as if it would be related to
GIMP; the GNU Image Manipulation Program. (Well, you know, Un*x
people have a weird sense of humor, and might well come up with
something GIMP related by that name... ;-)

> But
> we are willing to bend to the will of the masses.  Somewhat,
> anyway.

Yeah. It might be easier to understand our motivations if you consider
that most of us are in this for fun and/or because we don't like, or
can't use closed source solutions for whatever reason. We certainly
don't mind using and supporting Real Standards, but if the price is
too high (in legal, technical or other terms), most of us just won't
buy.

The bottom line is that we're generally not paid to do things we don't
care for personally. "GMPI is the buzzword of the decade!" isn't all
that strong an argument, but "GIMP does the job and is easy to
support" would have most of our software supporting it in no time.

> We've put a lot of thought, argument, and discussion into
> the last 4 or 5 months of discussions.  In the end we want a plugin
> API that we can use, you can use, everyone can use.

Exactly.