[gmpi] Re: XAP

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:51:52 -0800 (PST)

> > However, I think at this time we should discuss criteria. If an
> > existing "standard" meets those, it should be a base for GMPI.
> > (where I currently vote for AU, but that's not the question now...)
>
> Well, XAP is just a few steps ahead of GMPI in it's evolution. It's=20
> not a finalized API, but we're not very far from having an actual=20
> prototype host and plugins running. Point being that whatever is=20
> discussed here will probably affect XAP to great extent.

I'm a co-author of XAP.  I'd say we're 70% done with discussions and idea
slinging, and 30% done with docs.  I'm working on docs. :)

> I think I speak for the whole XAP team when I say that we are highly=20
> motivated in creating an advanced plugin API, and that we're not all=20
> that interested in creating another unofficial "standard" on our own.=20
> We see no reason in keeping and finishing XAP as our own, if it can=20
> come to better use as a base for GMPI.

I have to come forward and say that I detest the idea of calling my plugins
'Gimpy' (GMPI).  It has a bad connotation in English.  But we are willing to
bend to the will of the masses.  Somewhat, anyway.  We've put a lot of
thought, argument, and discussion into the last 4 or 5 months of
discussions.  In the end we want a plugin API that we can use, you can use,
everyone can use.

Tim