[gmpi] Re: Where are we, again?

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:21:47 -0700 (PDT)

> Several people answered, and there was much discussion.  (As always.)

Since Chris posed the questioned, I wanted to leave the guidance up to him.
There is no consensus, still.

> on the head.  If we want to earn the "General" part of what GMPI means, we
> need to have a design that can encompass more than just float32.

I think we've already established that.

I'm getting REALLY tired of this topic.

I'm going to push ahead, I hope Chris does not mind.

A single datatype is not sufficient to support all the platforms we need to
support.  In very general terms, a plugin needs to identify the datatype it
is expects for I/O.  Is that a fair enough summary?

If the above is not good enough - God help us.  It can't get more general
than that, and we've been on this topic for a MONTH.  If that doesn't suit
you, offer an alternative.

Now the next part:  Is it a REQUIREMENT to support plugins with more than
one I/O type?  That is - different input type vs output type, or different
per-{pin,channel,stream,whatever}?

If yes, how granular MUST it be?