[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:47:24 -0400

>Does seem sound to me to already take this into account (or at least in the
>back of our heads).
>
>> the GUI might be running on another machine.
>
>I can see that happen soon, yes.

happens *already* for any system running X Window. which means, BTW,
that there is a good chance i can run *your* VST plugin under linux,
with the GUI appearing on the screen of a machine other than the one
where the plugin's "dsp" code is executing. this is going to get more
and more common.

>I think you could see this as the host being registered as a listener by
>default, and then you can add other listeners as needed (such as control
>surfaces with motorized faders), but I'm not sure.

this involves quite a complex architecture if the other listeners are
actually other programs. CoreAudio, as i understand it today, has no
support for any inter-application data flow. for that matter, i'm not
sure that rewire or directconnect support anything except audio data.

so all you're really talking about is some component of a host that
interfaces with a hardware surface, which in turn is really just
another UI, just not the GUI variety. the problems are completely
isomorphous to the ones for a GUI, and we've agreed to put those in a
separate discussion point.